mainahabroad

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

My Birthday Party

I know it’s a little late but I wanted to include a few pictures from my birthday party (which was on December 6th for those of you who forgot!) that my students threw for me. It was complete with Azer-cake, Azer-video recording, Azer-dancing and Azer-gifts. It was a lot of fun and I didn’t feel so bad about turning 28.
The day started out with some minor computer problems and then dealing with the unfriendly post office people. Then I took it all as a sign to stop working and take the day off from work even though I had a lot to do to prepare for a big event that I was organizing at the Ganja Central Library.
I had told people that I was going to have a party at one of the NGO’s in town where I conduct a discussion group. So I went there to get things ready and try to get my computer fixed. The computer guy was at lunch so I waited around until some of my students came by and shooed me out. I went with one of my students to by some drinks and a cake. When I came back preparations were already well underway. I ran home to change my clothes and get my camera when I cam back a few minutes later the place was fully-decorated and packed with many of my students and friends. I entered to the electronic bee-bop sounds of “Happy Birthday to You” Azeri style, with three video cameras zoomed in on me. They even made a sign in balloons for me and another cake had appeared alongside the one I had bought at a bakery in town! Many of the kids had even gotten me presents. I was really touched at their thoughtfulness- even if the gifts weren’t exactly my style. (note big bangly necklace and earrings and flower vase in the photos). We turned up the music ate cake and danced the afternoon away. The funniest part was trying to teach the guys how to swing dance. They didn’t quite get it. Still very much stuck in only Azeri style of dancing, which is interesting for the first 2 or 3 songs but not ALL the TIME! The party had to end at 6 because it was getting dark and people had to go home. So here are some funny pictures for you to enjoy.



















2 Comments:

  • At 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I’ve skimmed your blog and came across useful info regarding your PCV assignment in Azerbaijan. Recently I (yesterday –the 29th ) received an invitation in the same country for the PC. (Leaving June 26) Anyway, I have several questions with some apprehension regarding safety- language- cultural acceptance. I have 8 days left to give my placement office a final decision. Would it be possible to answer some basic questions that I have? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Happy Birthday…..



    Sincerely, Joe Valles

    joe080500@hotmail.com

    I look forward to reading the rest of your Blog

     
  • At 6:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, that looks like a fun birthday. and I am happy to see some pictures from your trip with Mike. Nice bath area. You could almost skate board in there.
    I noticed that you have a scarf around your neck a lot of the time. Is that because you are cold, you have to for some reason, or because you are picking up local customs?
    Love, Alice

     

Post a Comment

<< Home